Thursday, February 17, 2011

week 3

Ok so this turned out to be much more intensely time consuming than I'd hoped. I'm still chugging through it but here's the halfway point. I'm still working on it tonight, but I wanted to get something up in case my hand completely locks up, it's sort of a gnarly claw as it is. I'm excited about how they are coming along (I ditched the fabric and color scheme a little bit because I wasn't able to cut the intricate pieces out of a lot of the stuff I'd originally planned to use. But overall I think the simplified color-blocking looks better anyway.  I severely hope the gluing takes less time than the cutting. It should right? Because these are taking between 2-3 hours each, granted I did the most complex ones first so I'm hoping it'll get going faster.

Wow. That was intense. Moving on... I really like the 3d quality of the photos of these, I think I'm not going to do chine colle but rather do a direct method with no pressing glue them back to front and let the overlapping-ness be a positive feature.



















 

 







Sarah's feedback:
"... I really like the 3d quality of the photos of these, i think I'm not going to do chine colle but rather do a direct method with no pressing glue them back to front and let the overlapping-ness be a positive feature."
Yes! I would say go even further - figure out a way to keep these loose like they are now, but somehow tacked into place. Perhaps using a small piece of matte board behind key areas to keep them lifted slightly and overlapped. And think about putting them onto a different matrix that might emphasize this - black paper?
I also rather love them with no faces. Perhaps minimize the features?
You are on the right track. S

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

ds3: Advanced Mixed Media © 2010

Blogger Templates by Splashy Templates